Problems starting relay

Jonathan Addington madjon at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 06:52:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 1:39 AM, Geoff Down <downie at castlecops.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm not mirroring the directory server (yet) so I assume I don't need to
> worry about the directory port.
> I did enable UPnP on my router (temporarily) and tried the Test button in
> the Vidalia Relay setup page, and it reported 'Success'. However, on
> examining the Port Forwarding page, there was then no sign of a rule for Tor
> or Vidalia.
> I disabled UPnP after that.
> I'm using OSX 10.3.9.
> I went into the Firewall section of 'Sharing' and added a rule for Tor:
> "This is your firewall entry for Tor: it is currently on and all TCP network
> traffic on port(s) 9001 is being let through".
> Yet still I get
> "[Warning] Your server (xx.xx.xx.xx:9001) has not managed to confirm that
> its ORPort is reachable. Please check your firewalls, ports, address,
> /etc/hosts file, etc"
> My Port Forwarding rule (added manually) says
> "Protocol TCP
> Port Start 9001
> Port End 9001
> Port Map 9001"
>  Is there a way I can check the Port Forwarding independently of Tor?
>
> Thanks,
> GD
>

> On 2 Nov 2008, at 05:54, phobos at rootme.org wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 02, 2008 at 05:45:40AM +0000, downie at castlecops.net wrote 3.5K
>> bytes in 113 lines about:
>>>
>>> I downloaded the Vidlalia/Tor/Privoxy bundle all together.
>>
>> Then all you need to do to run a relay is configure one via the Vidalia
>> "Setup Relaying" button in the Vidalia Control Panel.
>> Tor will generally figure out the rest.
>>
>> If your router supports upnp, Vidalia will attempt to configure any port
>> forwarding for you.
>>
>> If not, then yes, you need to port forward your orport and dirport from
>> the external router to your machine.  If for some reason you use the osx
>> firewall, you'll also need to open the tcp ports for the orport and
>> dirport.  If you are using 10.5 (leopard), when you configure a relay
>> through vidalia, the system should ask you to allow or deny the correct
>> ports.
>>
>> The easiest next step may be to start with a fresh torrc and let Vidalia
>> do the work of configuring the relay.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew

First, take any advice from Phobos before mine.

Second, I opened up Vidialia on my computer (I'm old school and
usually do this in a text editor); under sharing what is the Relay
Port set to? Is it the same as what your router currently has
configured? I *think* the default (under Vidalia 0.1.9) is 443, not
9050. Make sure your router reflects that.

Finally, note what Phobos said above about using the OSX firewall. It
could be getting in the way (says the guy who only runs Windows &
Linux)

-madjon