Kudos on memory usage in 0.2.X

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Nov 9 23:23:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 12:15:36AM +0100, slush wrote:
> Im in same situation as Matt. Im running Tor exit on VPS, version 0.2.0.x.
> So each MB of memory is quite bit expensive for me :). Do you personally
> think that running 0.2.1.x (so experimental branch, but less memory usage)
> on production machine is a good idea? Stability is the main issue, but I
> have overall good experience with Tor (except issue with certificates ;).

Tor 0.2.0.x is somewhat more stable than 0.2.1.x-alpha in general. For
example, we just made a change in 0.2.1.7-alpha that will make Tor
mysteriously fail to start on some obscure operating systems.

On the other hand, if your 0.2.0.x keeps running out of memory and
crashing, then you might find 0.2.1.x to be more stable. ;)

--Roger