Undeciperable message...

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Wed May 14 09:07:21 UTC 2008

     On Wed, 14 May 2008 02:59:49 -0400 Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>
wrote:
>On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:00:53AM +0000, Paul Ferguson wrote:
>> May 13 22:50:34.247 [Warning] You specified a server "gpfTOR1" by name, but this name is not registered, so it could be used by any server, not just the one you meant. To make sure you get the same server in the future, refer to it by key, as "$CFB88AC652AE0388D1F483A065E12A0BEDB868E8".
>>
>> I recieved it tonight on start-up...
>
>If you ever wrote that node down specifically, e.g. in your torrc file,
>then it means what Karsten N just described. You can't specify a node
>just by its nickname and expect it to be unique.
>
>If you haven't ever touched your config file and you're wondering why
>this message came out of the blue, it may be the recurrence of an old
>bug we had with Vidalia doing lookups on Tor servers in the background.
>
>Please let us know which it is. :)

     I suspect that we will see a lot more of this over the next few days
as people discard their servers' old signing keys, causing new ones to be
generated that don't match the ones they registered with the authority
administrators.  New keys mean new fingerprints, of course.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG