Spoofing location - possible?

buralex at gmail.com buralex at gmail.com
Tue May 6 18:08:48 UTC 2008

  Geoffrey Goodell <goodell at eecs.harvard.edu> said on May 06, 2008 8:40
-0400 (in part):
>> me: >I came to TOR looking not so much for the ability to surf anonymously
>> > but to convince my end target that I'm from a particular country.
>> > Primarily to allow use of streaming media (radio and video) from sites
>> > that restrict access to those from the United States.
>>

> What you are looking for is a  -- an overlay
> network that allows you to choose the perspective from which you want to
> access Internet services.
>
> Tor allows controllers such as Vidalia to determine exactly how circuits
> are built and which TCP streams are attached.  However, to our knowledge
> nothing that gives you what you want in a useful way actually exists at
> this point.
>
> Fortunately, there is a project in the Vidalia project pipeline to build
> perspective choices (such as choosing the country in which you want your
> exit node to reside).  Matt Edman and Camilo Viecco know more about
> this.
@Geoff - I take it you are the same Goodell as in the "Blossom" link in
the TOR FAQ? I tried googling"Perspective Access Network" - 11 hits
including some references to Blossom and a PDF of yours (?). Is the
Vidalia "pipeline" you mentioned this?
> {7} Pending Enhancements (25 matches) View a list of enhancements
> planned for future versions of Vidalia.
> http://trac.vidalia-project.net/report/7
I don't recognize anything there as on point? Is there somewhere I can
"lurk" to follow the progress of this project?

@Scott:
>  Yes.  Pick some U.S.-based exit nodes, and use the .exit notation you
> referred to above.  It means choosing your exits by hand, rather than
> letting tor do that, but it will get you to the exit you want, provided
> that exit is running and reachable from your location.
I downloaded
http://torstatus.kgprog.com/ip_list_all.php/Tor_ip_list_ALL.csv hacked
about with Excel and found 62 "nicknames" in US, bandwidth >= 100 KBS
and uptime-days >= 10 and then added these two lines to torrc:
> ExitNodes sneaker,croeso,bettyboop,..., 59 more
> StrictExitNodes 1
guess what - it works! I've been happily listening to "stations" I set
up on Pandora 16 months ago before they blacked out everything outside
the US for the last 4 hours and even watched two clips from Saturday
Night Live. Life is GOOD :-)

Is this usage "OK" or am I abusing the spirit of TOR?

One new question: I found a number of "what is my ip" sites and all of
them agree that my URL originates in the US except for:
http://www.ip2location.com/ which reports my true location in CANADA,
ONTARIO, AURORA. I really don't mind but wonder if they've done
something "special" the others haven't? If I cared enough, would this be
where I start using Privoxy and/or other techniques described in the
TOR-FAQ?

Regards ... Alec -- buralex-gmail