Fwd: Logistics of International Policy Restrictions (project liberation)

phobos at rootme.org phobos at rootme.org
Tue May 27 19:00:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 07:14:03AM -0500, wilfredguerin at gmail.com wrote 5.8K bytes in 120 lines about:
: TOR Authority Server: As with many others, TOR (which got a research
: grant from the US State Department for their use) has a good public
: idea, a simple mixing proxy, but its entire means of operation was
: neutralized by forcing a central single authority server. This one
: entity allows all traffic to it to be trapped at any level and thus
: instantly identifies both the client and the auth's suggested contact
: point.  The result is quite simple, their ability to transport data
: without manipulation is neutralized fundamentally.

You clearly don't understand how Tor Directory Authorities work.  You
can read more about it in the spec file,
https://www.torproject.org/svn/trunk/doc/spec/dir-spec.txt.  Section 3.2
is of relevance to your "central single authority server".  There are
currently 7 Directory Authorities.  Consensus requires 4 of 7 to agree
in order to publish a directory (see Section 3.4).

Feel free to submit patches or proposals as to how we can distribute
trust wide and still maintain the anonymity properties for the Tor network.

It's also news to me that the US State Dept. funded Tor.  Perhaps we
should update the sponsors page,
https://www.torproject.org/sponsors.html.en.

--
Andrew