Tor server for port 443

Mike Cardwell tor at lists.grepular.com
Wed May 21 10:02:11 UTC 2008

Scott Bennett wrote:

>>> Can I get some feedback regarding the deployment of an exit node
>>> restricted to port 443?
>>>
>>> My rationale is fairly simple, I believe in free speech and want to help
>>> make it available to everyone, especially those whose governments
>>> criminalize certain kinds of speech.  I am also aware of some of the
>>> weakness' of Tor such as the lack of end to end encryption when
>>> using nonsecure protocols.  My desire is to provide a communications
>>> mechanism that enforces end to end encryption.
>> (snip)
>>
>> In addition to port 443, you might consider ports like 995 - used for
>> secure POP3 - and 587, used for secure SMTP on Gmail.
>
>      Any idea why gmail uses 587 instead of the standard smtps port, which
> is 465?  I wouldn't unblock an smtps port and for the same reasons I leave
> the unencrypted smtp port (25) blocked.

The standardised port for SMTP submission is 587. See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_Mail_Transfer_Protocol specifically
"Although some servers support port 465 for legacy secure SMTP in
violation of the specifications"

However. gmail do actually support both 587 with TLS *and* 465 with SSL
on connect, on smtp.gmail.com.

Mike