Applications Recommended For Use With Tor +++ PROPOSAL, DRAFT +++

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Tue May 20 23:20:38 UTC 2008

Hello Alex,

I have been working on the security in regards to Tor for a couple of years
now, and I'm very pleased to hear that someone else is taking interest in
putting together a list of acceptable applications.  I have to agree that
the biggest threat to one's anonymity is going to be a bug/vulnerability in
a layer 7 application that gets leveraged into tricking the application to
no longer using the proxy, or using some other type of side-channel
feature/application which wasn't designed with Tor in mind.

I've already logged into the Wiki and updated the Test Procedures section.
Seeing as I've found lots of IP disclosure vulnerabilities in the past (and
future?), I for one would be more than happy to help with this.

One application that should never show up on this list is Internet
Explorer.  I've got two 0-days right now for IE, and they would totally
compromise your anonymity and security.  Don't worry, they've been reported
through 3Com's ZDI program and I'm waiting to see the fixes come out (who
knows when).
If you use Tor, DO NOT USE INTERNET EXPLORER!

Let the bug hunting continue!!  w00t!

- Kyle