USAF wants to violate federal criminal law

Peter Thoenen eol1 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 13:50:51 UTC 2008

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      Do we know for certain that the feds haven't worked some deal with
> the chip manufacturers?  (I think it's only reasonable to operate on the
> assumption that Microslop may well have made a deal with them.  What I
> want to know is whether uglier approaches will be used to violate federal
> statute that might affect better operating systems.)

Actually a good discussion of just this recently took place on the
crypto list and it basically came down to you have no way of knowing and
no way to detect so just act like a magic hardware hole doesn't exist
and quit worrying about it.

See the thread started here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg09040.html