Tor server for port 443

Grant Heller torstatistics at gmail.com
Mon May 19 09:45:26 UTC 2008

On 5/19/08, Scott Bennett <bennett at cs.niu.edu> wrote:

>     On Mon, 19 May 2008 04:31:42 -0400 "Grant Heller" <
> torstatistics at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >Can I get some feedback regarding the deployment of an exit node
> restricted
> >to port 443?
> >
> >My rationale is fairly simple, I believe in free speech and want to help
> >make it available to everyone, especially those whose governments
> >criminalize certain kinds of speech.  I am also aware of some of the
> >weakness' of Tor such as the lack of end to end encryption when
> >using nonsecure protocols.  My desire is to provide a communications
> >mechanism that enforces end to end encryption.
> >
> >Do any interested members of this list feel that such a restrictive exit
> >node is worth the bother and helpful to the project?
> >
>     Any relay is helpful.  If you provide exit service to any ports at all,
> it is an additional benefit.  Please do it.
>     That said, you may also wish to browse through /etc/services if you are
> on a UNIX/LINUX system to see which other ports are for services that you
> might be comfortable providing an exit for.  (I don't remember where the
> equivalent list is to be found on a Windows system.)  My situation is too
> exposed and vulnerable at present for me to provide exit service for port
> 80,
> but do provide it for many other ports on my server (MYCROFTsOtherChild --
> look for its exit policy in your cached-descriptors file if you're
> curious).
> I have not gotten any complaints about it from my ISP so far either.

Port 80 is worrisome to me for abuse reasons also.  My ISP prohibits
dedicated internet servers but I would like to negotiate the privilege to
host the node I have specified above.  Don't know if they will listen, but
am willing to try.  I am hoping that they can be convinced that 1. I will
limit the bandwidth to a portion of what I purchase and 2. there will not be
a flood of abuse complaints.

The host OS will be the server edition of Ubuntu 8.04.

btw, I think the Windows equivalent is
\windows\system32\drivers\etc\services

Thanks for your reply