I am at my wits end, I cant register for account at digg.com using tor

Jonathan Addington madjon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 20:25:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Noiano <noiano at lavabit.com> wrote:
> malcontent discontent wrote:
>  > I followed all the instructions for installing tor on
>  > Ubuntu.  Now I can't register at digg.com.  I tried
>  > every option I could think of to make it work but no
>  > go.  Can anybody tell me what to do so I can use tor
>  > and sign up for digg.com
>
>  As Ronger Dingledine said in a tor talk somewhere in germany "there are
>  a lots of stupid guys out there using tor". The stupid guys commit a lot
>  of abuses so, for example, wikipedia doesn't tor users to modify
>  anything in order to prevent abuses. Maybe digg.com does the same, I
>  don't know. You can try to change circuit by clicking "new identify" on
>  vidalia: if this works only the ip of the previous exit node was banned.
>  If it doesn't probably all tor exit nodes are banned.
>
>  Noiano

Couple of other options, albeit less convenient
1. Go to a library/coffee place/bookstore whatever with WiFi and
register for your account there without using tor.
2. Find a prepaid dialup card for cash.

Neither offer you anonymity quite as strongly, but then again, it
seems unlikely that you need it for digg.

-madjon

P.S. Not to encourage it or anything (it's illegal in many areas) but
there is always Warddriving ;-)

madjon at gmail.com