GSoC Idea: Packaging Tor+Vidalia

Adna rim adnarim at lavabit.com
Mon Mar 24 09:37:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 10:01:08 +0100
Peter Palfrader <peter at palfrader.org> wrote:

> I have explained it more than once.  I think the proper way is to teach
> vidalia to use a control unix domain socket and have it use the Tor that
> is installed and running on the system.
>
> Once vidalia knows how to do that I can enable the control socket in the
> package by default.
>
> Peter

Noone doubts that this would be the best solution but at the moment there's no way to do so. If Vidalia isn't capable of this until the next Ubuntu Code-Freeze for Interapid Ibex (8.10) I will suggest a tor package which doesn't install as a service by default.

On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 01:37:17 -0700
Jacob Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net> wrote:

> That was my thought as well. However, I'm curious what your thoughts are
> on the Debian Way (TM) to solve this problem? Perhaps to patch the tor
> init.d script in the Tor package to check for a flag that can be set by
> the Vadalia package?
>
> Regards,
> Jacob

I didn't thought about this until now but it sounds good to me. The initscript of Tor checks for having vidalia installed and If it's yes it won't start. I will further investigate this the next time.

But as said Leandro Doctors is trying to fix it in a proper way with enabling vidalia to reign the running tor-service. If this attempt will be succesfull none of these steps are necassary and I will be glad to see such a solution.

greets