What does "bandwidth" mean in cached-routers?

Jackie g06b08120301 at email.nbu.edu.cn
Mon Mar 24 01:11:40 UTC 2008

When looking at network maps in Vidalia, we can see the bandwidth of the router denoted as "1286KB/s". But when looking up corresponding records in the "cached-routers" located in tor data directory, it reads in the form of "bandwidth 1024000 2048000 1316902". What does it mean? Does it have any relation with "1286KB/s"?

Another question about the bandwidth of circuits: I see routers in a circuit having different bandwidth, from xxKB/s to xxxxKB/s. Is the bandwidth of the circuit as a whole determined by the router with the lowest bandwidth? For example: a circuit containing 3 nodes whose bandwidth are 4328, 4317, 327KB/s respectively. Can we say that the bandwidth of this circuit is 327KB/s?

By adding "ExcludeNodes" to torrc to remove low-bandwidth routers, can we speed up tor?