Tor server behind NAT on Vista,, Update,,

algenon flower algenon_flower at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 09:04:14 UTC 2008

I have Tor 12.1.9  running on windows Vista as a server for a few hours only relaying Tor server (I hope) information. System unexpectedly crashed once, I don't know why.  System stats indicate pretty normal usage,, Log below.
***
Mar 18 01:14:28.812 [Notice] Tor v0.1.2.19. This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
Mar 18 01:14:28.812 [Notice] Initialized libevent version 1.3e using method win32. Good.
Mar 18 01:14:28.812 [Notice] Opening OR listener on 0.0.0.0:443
Mar 18 01:14:28.812 [Notice] Opening Directory listener on 0.0.0.0:9030
Mar 18 01:14:28.812 [Notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Mar 18 01:14:28.812 [Notice] Opening Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9051
Mar 18 01:14:29.250 [Notice] Your Tor server's identity key fingerprint is 'Expermental1 275E A41D 518D FEAF 4C3A 7102 0640 2FA1 F5F9 54A7'
Mar 18 01:14:34.625 [Notice] Tor has successfully opened a circuit. Looks like client functionality is working.
Mar 18 01:15:03.109 [Notice] Self-testing indicates your DirPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent.
Mar 18 01:15:08.314 [Notice] Performing bandwidth self-test...done.
***
  One thing I noticed, right now Tor Bandwidth Usage GUI tells me recv:24.56 MB and Sent: 69.23 MB  I am allowing my server to act as Directory Mirror, but, troubling discrepancy between Recv and Sent.  Anyone have a clue about that?
 If it was just passing info between servers it should be near same, right?
   Also, on my machine behind NAT and SPI hardware firewall I am also running Zone Alarm. ZA's logs show a high rate of blocked intrusion attempts, I am currently tracking down some using Whois,, I guess that is just part of the game running a server,,,Comments welcome,, :)
                                                               Algenon

algenon flower <algenon_flower at yahoo.com> wrote:   Hello Tor developers and experienced users
As an experiment, I a attempting to run a Tor server on windows Vista home premium (I have to wait for another machine to run RedHat Linux Fedora) behind a NAT firewall.
  Although I am new to the D-Link hardware firewall I believe I did open ports 443, 9030, 9001 to both incoming and outgoing traffic and so enable my machine running Vista to work as a Tor server. At this point I am restricting all traffic to other Tor servers until I solve some troublesome issues.
  Tor log says Dir port reachable, but can't reach OrPort,, Bandwidth graph shows a few bursts of activity, then none. (?)
Humm, will go back to the firewall permissions and look for error, if anyone sees obvious err, please say :),,
  Will post results of Tor server on Vista  OS,,
                                                                   Algenon

Looking for last minute shopping deals?   Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.