relay tidbits...

luser luser456 at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:33:07 UTC 2008

coderman wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 12:12 AM, luser <luser456 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> If I believe that the majority of ... traffic over tor is ... unauthorised
>
> how do you determine?

a guess really.
based on one assumption:
  - pop3 access from government and/or private companies will never be
routed through tor
i believe this to be a fair assumption.

> that is the crux, and since you cannot do so, you open yourself to
> legal liability and target a subset of the legitimate users as well.
>
> this is not to say that better education of users about authenticity
> and privacy over Tor is not needed, but that exit sniffing is a risky
> and less effective way to do so.

agreed, having had time to look around all the resources people have
created for this community, every exit node or tor itself capturing
specific identifiers just isn't a good idea.

could protocols supporting en clair passwords be denied, a la smtp?
is is possible to run a relay on tcp/25?
how about tcp/21?

isn't tor an interesting beast!