Password Authentication Required

7v5w7go9ub0o 7v5w7go9ub0o at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 02:35:34 UTC 2008

Kyle Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, <phobos at rootme.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 02:30:30PM -0400, 7v5w7go9ub0o at gmail.com wrote
>> 0.9K bytes in 29 lines about:
>> : 'til you get a better reply, my newbie guess is that this sounds like a
>> : vidalia connection response. i.e. the hashed password in vidalia doesn't
>> : match the hashed pw in torrc.
>>
>> THis is correct.  Vidalia, by default, sets a random password for Tor
>> controlport authentication when it starts up Tor.    You can set this
>> password to be static through vidalia in the "Settings | Advanced"
>> button.
>>
>> --
>> Andrew
>>

> So is Vidalia setting the password to <random> every time it starts, or just
> the first time it starts?
>
> If every time, then why would it prompt the user for the password when it
> already knows it?
>
> If first time, then why doesn't it read the password from the torrc or
> vidalia.conf file and use that?
>
> I remember having a discussion with Roger about this and, if I recall
> correctly, he wanted it to be able to handle authentication to the
> controlport without user interaction.  Less pop ups == better user
> experience was the argument.
>
> Just curious.
>
> Thank you,
> -- Kyle

Do what Kyle Williams said; alternatively, edit each the TOR and vidalia
configuration files.

Vidalia will have something like this:

ControlPassword=johnsmith
UseRandomPassword=false

where the password is johnsmith. You have to hash that, so do the following:

tor  --hash-password johnsmith

it'll tell you that the hash is:

  16:751C69A9B10D7F4260B04E0D07D7EBCB760EDCEBADD40CDAF40F1FB095

so put the following line into torrc: (one line, ignore the wrap)

hashedControlPassword
16:751C69A9B10D7F4260B04E0D07D7EBCB760EDCEBADD40CDAF40F1FB095

HTH

(thanks!! for running a TOR relay  :-) )