Password Authentication Required

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 00:37:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 4:30 PM, <phobos at rootme.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 02:30:30PM -0400, 7v5w7go9ub0o at gmail.com wrote
> 0.9K bytes in 29 lines about:
> : 'til you get a better reply, my newbie guess is that this sounds like a
> : vidalia connection response. i.e. the hashed password in vidalia doesn't
> : match the hashed pw in torrc.
>
> THis is correct.  Vidalia, by default, sets a random password for Tor
> controlport authentication when it starts up Tor.    You can set this
> password to be static through vidalia in the "Settings | Advanced"
> button.
>
> --
> Andrew

So is Vidalia setting the password to <random> every time it starts, or just
the first time it starts?

If every time, then why would it prompt the user for the password when it
already knows it?

If first time, then why doesn't it read the password from the torrc or
vidalia.conf file and use that?

I remember having a discussion with Roger about this and, if I recall
correctly, he wanted it to be able to handle authentication to the
controlport without user interaction.  Less pop ups == better user
experience was the argument.

Just curious.

Thank you,
-- Kyle