relay tidbits...

Kyle Williams kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 18:27:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Kyle Williams <kyle.kwilliams at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 1, 2008 at 4:44 PM, <phobos at freeshell.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Jun 01, 2008 at 11:49:09PM +0100, luser456 at googlemail.com wrote
>> 1.2K bytes in 29 lines about:
>> > another reason is to provide a list of POP accounts (pop server IP and
>> > username, no password is captured) being accessed via tor, just in case
>> > any admins/users of these servers/accounts find it odd that they are
>> > being accessed over tor.
>>
>> If in the United States,
>> https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html.en#ExitSnooping
>> pertains to you.
>>

> "Should I snoop on the plaintext that exits through my Tor relay?<https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-legal-faq.html.en#ExitSnooping>
>
> *No.* You may be technically capable of modifying the Tor source code or
> installing additional software to monitor or log plaintext that exits your
> node. However, Tor relay operators in the U.S. can create legal and possibly
> even criminal liability for themselves under state or federal wiretap laws
> if they affirmatively monitor, log, or disclose Tor users' communications,
> while non-U.S. operators may be subject to similar laws. Do not examine the
> contents of anyone's communications without first talking to a lawyer.
>
> "
> I just read that again, and I feel I must say a few words about this.
>
> First off, the facts.  Anyone who willing and knowingly sends their traffic
> to some random routers on the Internet (encrypted traffic or not) just
> waived their right to privacy. It is assumed that their traffic is protected
> by encryption, which brings back their privacy, but even that (Debian SSL
> bug) can come into question.  However, (s)he who uses Tor is still
> *INTENTIONALLY* sending what would be private to you and/or your ISP out to
> second and third parties.  To expect privacy when you are doing this is
> retarded, unless everything you do is using SSL (again, not Debian's
> derivative of SSL).  The best you are going to get is anonymity, but you
> gain anonymity by throwing away your privacy (in most cases, not all
> though).
>
> Second, I as a 'service provider', whether free to the public or not, do
> have the right to monitor what my service is being (ab)used for.  By sharing
> my bandwidth, which I pay for (NOT YOU), I have the right to say what is
> allowed and what is blocked.  As a Tor exit node, I get to choose which
> services (by port) I want to support.  As a service provider (in the USA), I
> have the right to watch *EVERYTHING* that goes through my service.  AT&T has
> done this, Comcast is hiring right now for people to do this, and the list
> goes on and on.  Where AT&T should be getting in trouble is they gave the
> information to second and third parties, but I'm not going into that here.
> The point is, as a service provider, you have the right to monitor your
> services to make sure that they are not being abused or used for anything
> [...]

And just for the record, I choose not to run a Tor exit node because I have
seen first hand what types of filth it was being used for, and I don't
support that shit.
Seriously about %25 percent of my HTTP traffic was for porn...kiddy porn at
that....so I said "fuck that" and shut down my node a long, long time ago.

- Kyle