questions about bug in 0.2.0.20-rc

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Sun Jun 15 02:42:14 UTC 2008

     On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:26:56 -0400 Roger Dingledine <arma at mit.edu>
wrote:
>On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 08:57:31PM -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      I just came home and found tor had crashed.  I've been running 0.2.0.20-rc
>> lately, which is the first version with the clock jump bug, but it doesn't do
>> it very often.  However, after this crash, I'm back to 0.2.0.19-alpha for the
>> moment.  0.2.0.20-rc crashed with the following message in the info-level log:
>>
>> Jun 14 19:23:08.176 [err] Bug: connection.c:1580: connection_buckets_decrement: Assertion num_written < INT_MAX failed; aborting.
>>
>> My questions are:
>> 	1) What does this bug entail?  (I.e., what does the message mean?)
>> 	2) Has it been fixed in a later version already?
>
>The 0.2.0.21-rc ChangeLog includes:
>    - Downgrade assert in connection_buckets_decrement() to a log message.
>      This may help us solve bug 614, and in any case will make its
>      symptoms less severe. Bugfix on 0.2.0.20-rc. Reported by fredzupy.
>
>Then 0.2.0.22-rc says:
>    - When counting the number of bytes written on a TLS connection,
>      look at the BIO actually used for writing to the network, not
>      at the BIO used (sometimes) to buffer data for the network.
>      Looking at different BIOs could result in write counts on the
>      order of ULONG_MAX. Fixes bug 614.

     Thanks, Roger.  Unfortunately, 0.2.0.2[12345]-rc are all unusable on my
system due to the clock jump problem.  I don't think I ever got around to
trying 0.2.0.2[67]-rc, but I hope to try 0.2.1.1-alpha shortly.  However, my
expectation at this point is that it will also be unusable for the same
reason, leaving me back at 0.2.0.19-alpha once again.  The release note
excerpts you've provided, though, at least let me know that that particular
TLS bug was introduced after 0.2.0.19-alpha, so that one shouldn't be any
further problem.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG