SPD talk: "Simulating a Global Passive Adversary for Attacking Tor-like Anonymity Systems"?

gojosan at mailhaven.com gojosan at mailhaven.com
Thu Jun 12 21:22:10 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:46:56 -0700, "F. Fox" <kitsune.or at gmail.com>
said:

> gojosan at mailhaven.com wrote:
> > I just noticed this talk at the Security and Privacy Day from May 2008.
> > While I understand that Tor's thread model does not defend against a GPA
> > I am still curious what effect this attack can have against the current,
> > real Tor network?
> >
> > Simulating a Global Passive Adversary for Attacking Tor-like Anonymity
> > Systems
> > http://web.crypto.cs.sunysb.edu/spday/
> >
> (same old attack snipped)
>
> We've heard about this attack several times, and have had at least a
> couple discussions.
>
> As more and more time goes by, I'm inclined to think it's either
> complete vapor, or just an impotent variation on an existing attack.
>
> FUD is easy to spread, considering what Tor is for, and who it protects;
> I've seen so much of it that when a "new attack" comes along, I say,
> "Proof plox." =:oD
>
> - --
> F. Fox

I was unaware this talk/attack was discussed on this list before,
forgive me for not searching the archives.  How does one search the
archives, via. some google trick?

So this attack is nothing to worry about?  It is just FUD?  Was it done
on a private Tor network (as is my assumption)?

-gojosan

  gojosan at mailhaven.com

--
http://www.fastmail.fm - Same, same, but different…