circuits, streams, and their attachment

Jon McLachlan mcla0181 at umn.edu
Mon Jul 28 22:08:48 UTC 2008

Hey Everyone,

  Does anyone know why automatic attaching of streams to circuits may
fail, aside from the "stale" timeout that is currently on TorCircuits,
defaulted at 10 min?  I am using the Tor Controller to construct custom
private circuit (with purpose=general, from posted TorDescriptors with
their purpose=controller).  Those purpose's settings seemed to be the
only way to get the descriptors and circuitExtention calls to work
nicely together, AND still achieve automatic stream attachment.  Maybe
Tor fails to attached streams to circuit if the circuit appears to be
overused?

  Also, is there any risk in setting the remote connection host's IP to
be 0.0.0.1 in the socks4a headers from the application to the Tor
SocksPort?  This way, it forces Tor to do a DNS lookup on the hostname
to grab its IP?  Maybe this "hack" is connected with the previous problem?

  I've noticed Tor gives a cute warning msg if the IP is valid but the
hostname is absent in the socks4a handshake.  :)

  Are there any statistics (or guestimates? :) ) on how long it should
take Tor to extend a circuit by one more additional hop, in a privately
controlled environment, ie, not wild?  How about how long for a posted
Tor Descriptor (posted from the control port) to become operational?

  Many thanks for any help or comments.

Best Regards,
~Jon