[OT] message formats (was: browser footprint)

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Tue Jul 22 23:21:02 UTC 2008

     On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 14:02:10 +0200 Ansgar Wiechers <tor at planetcobalt.net>
wrote:
>On 2008-07-21 Scott Bennett wrote:
>>      On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:24:22 +0200 "=?UTF-8?Q?Tom=C3=A1s_Arribas?="
>> <Tomas at cactilio.com> wrote:
>> >PiBUb3IgaXNuJ3QgdGhlIHJpZ2h0IHBsYWNlIHRvIGJlIG1hbmdsaW5nIGFwcGxpY2F0aW9uIHBy
>> >b3RvY29scyBpZiBpdAo+IGNhbiBiZSBhdm9pZGVkLiAgVGhhdCdzIGZvciBwcm90b2NvbC1zcGVj
>> >  [remainder of junk deleted  --SB]
>>
>>      Is there some good reason for posting crap like the above to this list?
>> It's bad enough that some insist upon posting their message along with an
>> HTML duplicate, but at least there is usually some original text content.
>
>As per RFC 2045 base64 is a valid transfer encoding for a message body.
>It was declared correctly in the header, too. What kind of MUA do you
>use that won't decode this for you?

     I'm using mailx(1), which is the SysV equivalent of UCBmail, the staple
of UNIX systems for decades.  It is safe, reliable, and either mailx or
UCBmail is found on just about every kind of UNIX still in use today.  It
handles mail headers and plain, ASCII text.  If you want to use other
character sets in private email, that's fine, but it's not appropriate to do
so on mailing lists.

>Besides, before complaining about other people's messages, I'd suggest
>you start with fixing your own. Like, by not omitting References and
>In-Reply-To headers.

     If I were using a news reader, e.g. tin or trn, to read and post to a
USENET news group about tor, that kind of thing would be handled by the
news reader.  However, I'm instead reading and posting to a mailing list
about tor.  Subject: lines are included, and quoted messages are cited and
indented properly.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG