[OT] message formats (was: browser footprint)

Ansgar Wiechers tor at planetcobalt.net
Tue Jul 22 12:02:10 UTC 2008

On 2008-07-21 Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:24:22 +0200 "=?UTF-8?Q?Tom=C3=A1s_Arribas?="
> <Tomas at cactilio.com> wrote:
> >PiBUb3IgaXNuJ3QgdGhlIHJpZ2h0IHBsYWNlIHRvIGJlIG1hbmdsaW5nIGFwcGxpY2F0aW9uIHBy
> >b3RvY29scyBpZiBpdAo+IGNhbiBiZSBhdm9pZGVkLiAgVGhhdCdzIGZvciBwcm90b2NvbC1zcGVj
> >  [remainder of junk deleted  --SB]
>
>      Is there some good reason for posting crap like the above to this list?
> It's bad enough that some insist upon posting their message along with an
> HTML duplicate, but at least there is usually some original text content.

As per RFC 2045 base64 is a valid transfer encoding for a message body.
It was declared correctly in the header, too. What kind of MUA do you
use that won't decode this for you?

Besides, before complaining about other people's messages, I'd suggest
you start with fixing your own. Like, by not omitting References and
In-Reply-To headers.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"The Mac OS X kernel should never panic because, when it does, it
seriously inconveniences the user."