Your computer is too slow to handle this many creation requests!

Nick Mathewson nickm at freehaven.net
Wed Jan 2 22:08:32 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 10:43:32PM +0100, Olaf Selke wrote:
> morphium wrote:
> >
> > Tor is only using about 80 MBits, so that aren't even 10% of the Bandwith I
> > want to give for tor.
>
> eeh? Wanna give Tor 800 MBits/s?
>
> Tor is a cpu hog efficiently using one core only. On my Debian box the
> other three cores together serve with less than 10% load having the
> NumCpu config file option set to four. As I understood RSA encryption
> only is done distributed on multiple cores.

Yeah, this _is_ a problem.  I'd like to get it so that AES is also
parallelized (since AES is where a well-behaved Tor spends most of its
time), but the changes involved are probably tricky enough that
they'll have to wait for the next development series.

If anybody would like to mess around with this ahead of time, there's
one easy place to mess around, and one hard place to mess around:

  - The easy place is when cells are encrypted on circuits.  For a
    middleman node, this represents one AES operation out of 3.  Right
    now, it happens in relay.c.

  - The hard place is getting all openssl crypto to get parallelized.

yrs,
--
Nick