Can nickname be duplicate?

Florian Reitmeir florian at reitmeir.org
Wed Jan 30 11:29:13 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, Jackie wrote:

> Does Tor identify each node by its nickname? for example, in torrc, a series
> of commands such as:
> ExcludeNodes nickname,nickname,...
> EntryNodes nickname,nickname,...
> ExitNodes nickname,nickname,...

> But when we see at http://torstatus.kgprog.com, (sorted by their names) we
> can find a bundle of nodes with the same nickname "unnamed", see following:
>
> If I want to remove a node located in China whose nickname also is
> "unnamed", I just add "ExcludeNodes unnamed" to torrc. How does tor know
> which node I want to remove, perhaps, it removes a node in Europe which I
> want to keep.
>
> Can anyone explain why?

List Archive:
http://www.google.com/search?num=30&hl=en&safe=off&client=iceweasel-a&rls=org.debian%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&q=site%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Farchives.seul.org%2For%2Ftalk%2F+excludenodes&btnG=Search

Nicknames are not unique, Fingerprints are.

FAQ:
https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ
"4.10. Can I control what nodes I use for entry/exit?"
... We don't actually recommend you use these for normal use -- you get the
best security that Tor can provide when you leave the route selection to
Tor ...

--
Florian Reitmeir