Hostname

Hans Schnehl torvallenator at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:01:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 03:57:46PM -0600, Drake Wilson wrote:
> Quoth Khaled Moussa <khmoussa at gmail.com>, on 2008-01-22 23:42:33 +0200:
> > Is there a way for hiding the IP of host and ISP name from Tor network
> > and TorStatus for security reasons?
>
> That's an extremely vague question.  IP of _what_ host, and for _what_
> reasons?

I believe this is about not to show up in the publicly available lists
(TorStatus) on blutmagie, kprog and others.

> Anyway, based on my predicted disambiguation of your question, the answer
> is generally "no, Tor clients and relays cannot easily hide themselves
> from the Tor network".

Of course the network must know 'itself', so there is no point in hiding from
the Tor network and in the same time being a member.

But if my assumption is correct, you might want to set up your node as a bridge.
These are not listed in the mentioned status lists.

http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2007/msg00268.html
http://archives.seul.org/or/talk/Dec-2007/msg00269.html

give hints how to do this.

>    ---> Drake Wilson