RemoteControl dev trouble (510 Unrecognized command)

Jon McLachlan mcla0181 at umn.edu
Sun Jan 13 06:44:51 UTC 2008

Hey,

I have been having some trouble with a python based Tor controller.
After setting my local ControlPort in the Tor settings, and connecting,
I am able to successfully authenticate, but then I am unable to get Tor
to recognize any other commands.

More precisely,
    cx.sendall("authenticate " + pw + "\n\r")
    s = cx.recv(1024)
    print "Tor:", s
produces the response: Tor: 250 OK

But after authentication,
    cmd = "GETINFO version\n\r"
    cx.sendall(cmd)
    s = cx.recv(1024)
    print "Tor: ", s
produces, Tor: 510 Unrecognized command ""

I have also tried other commands, and none seem to be recognized.  The
command's case also does not matter.  I have also tried injecting NL
characters (chr(0) in python, the ascii character composed of 8 bits of
value 0 in binary) before/after the \n\r, after the command (getinfo),
after keyword (version).

If anyone has had previous experience, or might think they may know the
root of the problem, I would be very grateful for any guidance / advice.

Just FYI for folks, I have been trying to follow the spec:
http://www.torproject.org/svn/trunk/doc/spec/control-spec.txt

PS - I have set no cookie or salted hashed password for the auth, but I
don't think effect functionality matters.

Best Regards,
~Jon