Pidgin and Gajim are both DNS-leaking, what IM-tool for Jabber are you using?

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Fri Jan 11 05:15:13 UTC 2008

     On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:47:23 +0000 Robert Hogan <robert at roberthogan.net>
wrote:
>On Thursday 10 January 2008 17:39:54 kazaam wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I tested today Pidgin and Gajim for DNS-leaking and found that both are
>> doing it. In Both you can't circumvent it. Even when using a http-proxy
>> they still resolve the dns by themselves not using the proxy. What is your
>> preferred IM-application for jabber?
>>
>> greets
>
>=46or the likes of Pidgin and Gaim you're better off using the patched vers=
>ion=20
>of tsocks. If you're a Linux user, TorK offers a one-click way to launch=20

     I'm assuming the patch is to get tsocks to do name resolution via a socks
proxy using 4a or 5.  If that is correct, where can I get the patch, please?
I'm running FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE, but haven't updated my ports tree in months
(since before the X.org 6.9 --> 7.2 ports freeze), so I'll need to patch it
directly.

>pidgin or gaim socksified by the non-dns-leaking tsocks through tor. To get=
>=20
>this work all you have to do is install TorK. It also has a 'failsafe' opti=
>on=20
>that (with the tor 0.2.x series) will route all your systems dns traffic=20
>through Tor.
>
>Disclaimer: I'm the developer of TorK. (http://tork.sf.net)

     Thanks in advance.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG