Pidgin and Gajim are both DNS-leaking, what IM-tool for Jabber are you using?

Robert Hogan robert at roberthogan.net
Thu Jan 10 21:47:23 UTC 2008

On Thursday 10 January 2008 17:39:54 kazaam wrote:
> Hi,
> I tested today Pidgin and Gajim for DNS-leaking and found that both are
> doing it. In Both you can't circumvent it. Even when using a http-proxy
> they still resolve the dns by themselves not using the proxy. What is your
> preferred IM-application for jabber?
>
> greets

For the likes of Pidgin and Gaim you're better off using the patched version
of tsocks. If you're a Linux user, TorK offers a one-click way to launch
pidgin or gaim socksified by the non-dns-leaking tsocks through tor. To get
this work all you have to do is install TorK. It also has a 'failsafe' option
that (with the tor 0.2.x series) will route all your systems dns traffic
through Tor.

Disclaimer: I'm the developer of TorK. (http://tork.sf.net)