What to do at IP number change?

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Thu Jan 10 05:24:26 UTC 2008

     On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 19:31:02 -0800 "F. Fox" <kitsune.or at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Roger Dingledine wrote:
>(snip)
>| Even if you hup your Tor rather than restarting it, you're still killing
>| all the circuits going through you...
>(snip)
>
>I didn't know this; since I'm using Kitsune-OR experimentally in part,
>I've SIGHUP'ed it quite often after tweaking it. I thought that SIGHUP
>didn't harm circuits like a restart obviously would, but I guess I was
>wrong.

     You're missing the point w.r.t. killing circuits.  The SIGHUP to tor
has nothing to do with the circuits dying.  The circuits die because you
removed the IP address at your end of the TCP connections conducting those
circuits from the Internet.  It's the same as though your entire system had
crashed.  It does it to every other open TCP connection on your system routed
through the now defunct IP address at the same time, not just to tor's TCP
connections.

>I'll need to keep this in mind - thank you, Roger. =:o)

     Roger's other comments regarding the directory operations are things
you should gather from the documentation, too.  Perhaps it would be worth
your time to (re)read the basic documentation and also the document covering
each of the directory protocol versions.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG