What to do at IP number change?

Hans Schnehl torvallenator at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 22:35:42 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 10:52:57PM +0100, dr._no at cool.ms wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > A word about obfuscation: If we run a tor node, we are as anonymous as Sta. Claus
> > hiding behind sunglasses to our ISP's.
>
> that's clear; i'm using TOR as a mix with a transparent local http proxy which uses an ISP
> proxy as parent proxy, so that the exit traffic goes through two proxies and with several numbers
> in the X_FORWARDED_FOR header ;-)
> That's good enough for hiding my public IP to http servers which do log only the TCP/IP number and
> for most which do evaluate the X_FORWARDED_FOR header.
> And because of the mixing the ISP can't see which traffic is caused by me. So he can see a TOR server
> which uses one of his proxies but not my personal traffic. For obfuscation i opened all exit ports except
> 25 (because of spam).
>

> > > So i should use a DynDNS host+domain name?
> >
> > You may, but not necessarily have to. I made myself a little script catching the changed IP via mpd_linkup
> > (or ppp.linkup or what you may use) and changing the Address 123.123.123.123 into the new Address 234.234.234.234
> > and then sends a SIGHUP to Tor.
>
> Ok, i will use
> /etc/ppp/ip-up.local
> but what exactly shall i write into that file?
> killall -s SIGHUP tor?ybe you

I am not familiar how to do this on linux and have no machine to try here, can please someone help out?
You need the following:

#!/bin/sh
torpid= 'catch the PID'
newip='See_above'
#something like  the following should do then: (please someone "translate to a linux")

sed -i '' 's/^\(Address\) .*/\1 '$newip'/' /path/to/your/torrc

/path/to/kill  -s HUP $torpid
----

 to be put in a script and initiated by e.g. ip-up.local does the trick for me.
 Maybe this is a complete waste of time, if Tor is able to determine the new IP alone faster.
IN this case a simple:
/path/to/kill  -s HUP $torpid

should be fine.

What may be faster or more efficient, to HUP tor with a new IP, or to let the Authorities find out themselves
about a renewed IP, I do not know. Anyone?

> Greets

Regards

Hans