A root-server for about 30EUR for an exitnode?

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Sun Feb 3 21:12:14 UTC 2008

Andrew wrote:

> Didn't I read something about a 99.9% uptime guarantee on their site?
> Actually, the German Strato AG also has switched their dedicated
> servers, starting at EUR 70 a month, to an unlimited traffic plan. No
> fair-use or similar downsides.
> I'd just like to know what the bandwidth per switch is... and how many
> servers share that bandwidth.

I don't know and I doubt they will tell you. On the other hand Strato is
one of the major hosting players on the German market. I'm convinced
bandwidth will be sufficient for a tor node running on apples and
oranges hardware.

>> More expensive than IP traffic will be ISP's personnel expenses for a
>> tor exit gw's abuse handling.
>>
> Why? They just have to point the finger at the server's owner.
 > That's not much work to do.

even each case takes only about 15min average, it becomes expensive.

> That's not much work to do. I bet they have standardized emails for such cases.

German police do not use email for their inquiries. Usually the letter
from police arrives first as fax and a few days later in writing. Not to
mention they expect the answer pointing to me the same way. The only
known exception accepting email communication I'm aware of has been a
German secret service.

Olaf