Not using slow circuits (was Re: Tor slow no matter what I do.)

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Sun Feb 3 06:41:33 UTC 2008

     On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 18:08:26 -0800 "F. Fox" <kitsune.or at gmail.com>
wrote:
>Chad Z. Hower aka Kudzu wrote:
>(snip)
>> Does TOR implement QOS or prioritization? That is only use bandwidth when
>> other traffic is not present?
>
>This can be done further upstream of the Tor server, as long as the
>server is on a dedicated machine. Just set the switch up to put the Tor
>server's port in Low priority mode.

     That works for connections coming into the server, but not for
outbound connections made by the server, so one can control only part of
the traffic that way.  Control over some of the connections initiated by
the server by managing the traffic to and from the most common choices
of remote ports, but there isn't a good way to do that for all remote tor
servers.  A further refinement might be to add specific QoS rules for the
short list of very high-bandwidth servers and for the directory authorities.
     Some Windows firewall software does allow identification of traffic
to and from specific application programs, but I'm not aware of any that
handle QoS that way.

>Specifics vary based on equipment. YMMV.

     Indeed.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG