Tor Password??

John Kimble det.j.kimble at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 15:37:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:05 PM,  <lg2005 at safe-mail.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just upgraded to 0.2.0.20-rc from 0.2.0.19-alfa
>
> Seems there is a bug, I am always asked to enter a password, even when I check the "randomly generate" password setting in Vidalia.
>
> Moreover, if I enter a password manually instead of ticking "randomly generate", this password is never accepted in when I am asked to enter it. So tor never runs... For it runs, I have to chose the "Cookie" option.

In 0.2.0.20-rc it seems that a "HashedControlPassword" line is
expected to be present in torrc, or else the random generation of
password in Vidalia won't work correctly.

Here's a temporary workaround:

(1) Edit torrc and add a dummy HashedControlPassword line. The
following will do:
HashedControlPassword
16:0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF0123456789ABCDEF0123456789

(2) Edit vidalia.conf so it contains only the following two lines in
the [Tor] section. (Other sections can remain unchanged. Or remove
them if you'd like to start over with everything in their default
values.) You may need to adjust TorExecutable to point to your exact
path for tor.exe:
[Tor]
TorExecutable=C:\\Program Files\\Vidalia Bundle\\Tor\\tor.exe

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
John