Tor 0.2.0.20-rc is out

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Feb 26 03:11:14 UTC 2008

Tor 0.2.0.20-rc is the first release candidate for the 0.2.0 series. It
makes more progress towards normalizing Tor's TLS handshake, makes
hidden services work better again, helps relays bootstrap if they don't
know their IP address, adds optional support for linking in openbsd's
allocator or tcmalloc, allows really fast relays to scale past 15000
sockets, and fixes a bunch of minor bugs reported by Veracode.

This is a release candidate! That means that we don't know of any
remaining show-stopping bugs, and this will become the new stable if
there are no problems. Please test it, and tell us about any problems
that you find.

https://www.torproject.org/download#Dev

Changes in version 0.2.0.20-rc - 2008-02-24
  o Major features:
    - Enable the revised TLS handshake based on the one designed by
      Steven Murdoch in proposal 124, as revised in proposal 130. It
      includes version negotiation for OR connections as described in
      proposal 105. The new handshake is meant to be harder for censors
      to fingerprint, and it adds the ability to detect certain kinds of
      man-in-the-middle traffic analysis attacks. The version negotiation
      feature will allow us to improve Tor's link protocol more safely
      in the future.
    - Choose which bridge to use proportional to its advertised bandwidth,
      rather than uniformly at random. This should speed up Tor for
      bridge users. Also do this for people who set StrictEntryNodes.
    - When a TrackHostExits-chosen exit fails too many times in a row,
      stop using it. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x; fixes bug 437.

  o Major bugfixes:
    - Resolved problems with (re-)fetching hidden service descriptors.
      Patch from Karsten Loesing; fixes problems with 0.2.0.18-alpha
      and 0.2.0.19-alpha.
    - If we only ever used Tor for hidden service lookups or posts, we
      would stop building circuits and start refusing connections after
      24 hours, since we falsely believed that Tor was dormant. Reported
      by nwf; bugfix on 0.1.2.x.
    - Servers that don't know their own IP address should go to the
      authorities for their first directory fetch, even if their DirPort
      is off or if they don't know they're reachable yet. This will help
      them bootstrap better. Bugfix on 0.2.0.18-alpha; fixes bug 609.
    - When counting the number of open sockets, count not only the number
      of sockets we have received from the socket() call, but also
      the number we've gotten from accept() and socketpair(). This bug
      made us fail to count all sockets that we were using for incoming
      connections. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - Fix code used to find strings within buffers, when those strings
      are not in the first chunk of the buffer. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - Fix potential segfault when parsing HTTP headers. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x.
    - Add a new __HashedControlSessionPassword option for controllers
      to use for one-off session password hashes that shouldn't get
      saved to disk by SAVECONF --- Vidalia users were accumulating a
      pile of HashedControlPassword lines in their torrc files, one for
      each time they had restarted Tor and then clicked Save. Make Tor
      automatically convert "HashedControlPassword" to this new option but
      only when it's given on the command line. Partial fix for bug 586.

  o Minor features (performance):
    - Tune parameters for cell pool allocation to minimize amount of
      RAM overhead used.
    - Add OpenBSD malloc code from phk as an optional malloc
      replacement on Linux: some glibc libraries do very poorly
      with Tor's memory allocation patterns. Pass
      --enable-openbsd-malloc to get the replacement malloc code.
    - Add a --with-tcmalloc option to the configure script to link
      against tcmalloc (if present). Does not yet search for
      non-system include paths.
    - Stop imposing an arbitrary maximum on the number of file descriptors
      used for busy servers. Bug reported by Olaf Selke; patch from
      Sebastian Hahn.

  o Minor features (other):
    - When SafeLogging is disabled, log addresses along with all TLS
      errors.
    - When building with --enable-gcc-warnings, check for whether Apple's
      warning "-Wshorten-64-to-32" is available.
    - Add a --passphrase-fd argument to the tor-gencert command for
      scriptability.

  o Minor bugfixes (memory leaks and code problems):
    - We were leaking a file descriptor if Tor started with a zero-length
      cached-descriptors file. Patch by freddy77; bugfix on 0.1.2.
    - Detect size overflow in zlib code. Reported by Dan Kaminsky.
    - We were comparing the raw BridgePassword entry with a base64'ed
      version of it, when handling a "/tor/networkstatus-bridges"
      directory request. Now compare correctly. Noticed by Veracode.
    - Recover from bad tracked-since value in MTBF-history file.
      Should fix bug 537.
    - Alter the code that tries to recover from unhandled write
      errors, to not try to flush onto a socket that's given us
      unhandled errors. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.
    - Make Unix controlsockets work correctly on OpenBSD. Patch from
      tup. Bugfix on 0.2.0.3-alpha.

  o Minor bugfixes (other):
    - If we have an extra-info document for our server, always make
      it available on the control port, even if we haven't gotten
      a copy of it from an authority yet. Patch from mwenge.
    - Log the correct memory chunk sizes for empty RAM chunks in mempool.c.
    - Directory mirrors no longer include a guess at the client's IP
      address if the connection appears to be coming from the same /24
      network; it was producing too many wrong guesses.
    - Make the new hidden service code respect the SafeLogging setting.
      Bugfix on 0.2.0.x. Patch from Karsten.
    - When starting as an authority, do not overwrite all certificates
      cached from other authorities. Bugfix on 0.2.0.x. Fixes bug 606.
    - If we're trying to flush the last bytes on a connection (for
      example, when answering a directory request), reset the
      time-to-give-up timeout every time we manage to write something
      on the socket. Bugfix on 0.1.2.x.
    - Change the behavior of "getinfo status/good-server-descriptor"
      so it doesn't return failure when any authority disappears.
    - Even though the man page said that "TrackHostExits ." should
      work, nobody had ever implemented it. Bugfix on 0.1.0.x.
    - Report TLS "zero return" case as a "clean close" and "IO error"
      as a "close". Stop calling closes "unexpected closes": existing
      Tors don't use SSL_close(), so having a connection close without
      the TLS shutdown handshake is hardly unexpected.
    - Send NAMESERVER_STATUS messages for a single failed nameserver
      correctly.

  o Code simplifications and refactoring:
    - Remove the tor_strpartition function: its logic was confused,
      and it was only used for one thing that could be implemented far
      more easily.