Your computer is too slow to handle this many creation requests!

Olaf Selke olaf.selke at blutmagie.de
Fri Feb 22 22:42:46 UTC 2008

Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 10:43:32PM +0100, Olaf Selke wrote:
>> morphium wrote:
>>> Tor is only using about 80 MBits, so that aren't even 10% of the Bandwith I
>>> want to give for tor.
>> eeh? Wanna give Tor 800 MBits/s?
>>
>> Tor is a cpu hog efficiently using one core only. On my Debian box the
>> other three cores together serve with less than 10% load having the
>> NumCpu config file option set to four. As I understood RSA encryption
>> only is done distributed on multiple cores.
>
> Yeah, this _is_ a problem.  I'd like to get it so that AES is also
> parallelized (since AES is where a well-behaved Tor spends most of its
> time), but the changes involved are probably tricky enough that
> they'll have to wait for the next development series.
>
> If anybody would like to mess around with this ahead of time, there's
> one easy place to mess around, and one hard place to mess around:
>
>   - The easy place is when cells are encrypted on circuits.  For a
>     middleman node, this represents one AES operation out of 3.  Right
>     now, it happens in relay.c.
>
>   - The hard place is getting all openssl crypto to get parallelized.

regarding multi processor support probably I'm the pain in
software developer's ass :-) Are there any news getting
things parallelized? All the nifty features introduced since
  0.2.0.15 at least don't seem to speed up the application.

I think the top 10 nodes are limited rather by (single) cpu
power than by bandwidth.

cheers, Olaf