.onion sites fail to load with: (waiting for rendezvous desc)

Sebastian Hahn hahn.seb at web.de
Sun Feb 17 17:44:16 UTC 2008

On Feb 17, 2008, at 6:03 PM, nickm at freehaven.net wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 16, 2008 at 12:03:02PM -0800,
> gogogadgetnecktie at fastmail.fm wrote:
>> I'm seeing this message in terminal running Tor when trying to
>> connect
>> to any .onion sites:
>>
>> [notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80.
>> Giving up. (waiting for rendezvous desc), followed by a Privoxy 502
>> error.
>
> FWIW, it looks like Karsten maybe just fixed this issue with a patch
> that went into the Subversion repository as r13540.  If anybody who's
> been seeing this problem is able to try running svn trunk, it would
> be great to see whether this fixes the problem.  Thanks!
>
> Yrs,
> --
> Nick

Hi,

I just compiled and testet the new version. Using this, I was able to
contact core.onion, the v2 descriptor testpage and the example hidden
service. On core.onion, I clicked a few random links. Most were not
working, but in the logs, the error message is different - I get
"[Notice] Closing stream for '[scrubbed].onion': hidden service is
unavailable (try again later)." which I guess means that the service
is down. Also, I got a few "[Notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a
connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)"
  and "[Notice] Rend stream is 120 seconds late. Giving up on address
'[scrubbed].onion'." in my logs.

I hope this can help you

Best
Sebastian