.onion sites fail to load with: (waiting for rendezvous desc)

Sebastian Hahn hahn.seb at web.de
Sun Feb 17 05:07:58 UTC 2008

Hi,

after reading this I went ahead and with the help of Phobos compiled
an installed trunk.

On Feb 16, 2008, at 11:02 PM, gogogadgetnecktie at fastmail.fm wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 21:46:54 +0100, "Karsten Loesing"
> <karsten.loesing at gmx.net> said:
>> Some days ago there was a guy on #tor with a similar problem. You? :)

Nope, that was me :)

>> I just tried to access two hidden services. Worked fine. But
>> obviously,
>> there is a bug that we should track down. Maybe you can help us with
>> that?

I'd like to help

> I can connect to http://duskgytldkxiuqc6.onion/ without a problem, but
> others including core.onion, hidden wiki, Freenode's hidden IRC
> server,
> and a few others don't work as they used to. I attempt only known &
> verified as working .onion sites from others. Non-fuctional (down)
> .onion sites show a different message in terminal unrelated to this
> bug.

I had a somewhat strange behaviour. I was able to connect to the
example hidden service, but not the v2 test service. trying to access
the v2 test service, I got the message "[Notice] Tried for 120
seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for
rendezvous desc)" a bit later, I could access the v2 test page
without a problem, but core.onion still throws the above error
message. The strange thing is that a made-up onion address gives a
different error message in the log:

Trying to access http://duskgytldkxi2qc6.onion/ (almost the same as a
above, but changed one letter) I get a "[Notice] Closing stream for
'[scrubbed].onion': hidden service is unavailable (try again later)."
in the logs :)

>> What happens when
>> you restart Tor and try again? What if you wait for some minutes
>> after
>> starting Tor before trying?
>
> All tries fail.

Same here, it does not matter how long Tor has been running

>> Did you try to compile
>> and run current trunk? Unfortunately one bug fix for 0.2.0.19-alpha
>> turned out to be erroneous and was reverted in current trunk. But I
>> doubt that it's the one causing the problem you describe.

unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the problem :(

Best
Sebastian