Some router descriptors not being downloaded

Eric C soccerislander at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 19:46:07 UTC 2008

All,

I found out that some router descriptors are not being downloaded. For
example, on https://torstat.xenobite.eu (the Tor status page), it
shows that 1000rpm is up and running. When I start Tor (I just
upgraded to the latest stable version to make sure it was not a
version issue), it says

routerstatus_list_update_from_networkstatus(): Router '1000rpm' is
listed by 5/5 directories, named by 2/3, validated by 5/5, and 3/3
recent directories think it's running.

But 1000rpm is not listed under either ~/.tor/cached-routers or
cached-routers.new, so somehow Tor does not know about this router
since it doesn't have its descriptor.

I tried the basic stuff: remove ~/.tor, restart tor, upgrade to latest
version, etc... I even used the ControlPort to check if Tor has the
router descriptor and it does not. I have been trying for the past 5
hours or so now.

I thought that Tor was supposed to download ALL router descriptors
from the directory servers/mirrors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Eric

PS: This has nothing to do against 1000rpm, it was just one of the
first Tor routers that I noticed is considered "up", but not on my
cached-routers list - I am sure there must be others