No data retention in germany for donated services

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Fri Dec 5 19:18:20 UTC 2008

Am 05.12.2008 um 10:22 schrieb Seth David Schoen:

> Sven Anderson writes:
>> Karsten N. just sent to the German exitnodes list a link to an
>> article,
>> which is very convincing and legally well-founded (see below). It
>> explains that any service that is being donated to the public, that
>> is,
>> without taking money or any other return service (like
>> advertisements)
>> for it, is _not_ obliged to retain any connection data! Furthermore,
>> since there is no gray area, who isn't obliged to retain data is not
>> _allowed_ to retain data, and can be charged with a fee up to
>> 10.000 EUR
>> for doing so!
>
> I'm not a lawyer in Germany or any jurisdiction and I don't have any
> knowledge or opinion of the convincingness or legal well-foundedness
> of this article.  I encourage anyone who might want to rely on it to
> seek the expert opinion of a German lawyer.  But I do read German, so
> I've translated Karsten's note and (most of) the text of the article
> below for the benefit of anyone interested in this material who
> doesn't
> read German.

Wow, that was probably a lot of work, thanks!

However, I want to emphasize that the author of the article, Patrick
Breyer, IS a German lawyer and wrote his PhD about data retention. [1]
So I think the article itself can be seen as an expert opinion.

[1] http://events.ccc.de/congress/2006/Fahrplan/speakers/1207.en.html

Best regards,

Sven