Tor on Android

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Sun Dec 28 20:53:44 UTC 2008

Just for lark, more than anything else, I built Tor on Android and
have it running on a (release) HTC Dream:

$ ./tor -f torrc
Dec 28 12:40:33.468 [notice] Tor v0.2.0.32 (r17346). This is
experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.
(Running on Linux armv6l)
Dec 28 12:40:33.478 [notice] Initialized libevent version 1.4.9-stable
using method epoll. Good.
Dec 28 12:40:33.480 [notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050

The native web browser doesn't have support for SOCKS proxies, only
HTTP proxies, so one would have to add a HTTP->SOCKS proxy in the mix
to get it working. However, I did test it with Firefox routing SOCKS
requests over a USB link to Tor running on the phone. The 3G latencies
and limited CPU power make for a pretty slow result, but it does work.

It's back to work tomorrow, so this is probably as far as I'll take
it. If anyone wants the binaries or build instructions (I didn't do
anything shockingly odd), let me know.

Cheers

AGL

--