Perfect MITM attack with valid SSL Certs

John Brooks special at dereferenced.net
Tue Dec 23 16:56:59 UTC 2008

I'm not certain which way you meant this, but just in the interest of
clarification:

This sort of attack, or any PKI attacks, *do not* affect the way that tor
nodes authenticate or communicate with eachother - that is all based on the
directories, signatures, and certificate fingerprints. Those can't be faked
without breaking the math involved.

Where this does come into play, however, is communicating with external
services - smart use of this attack could allow an exit node to snoop on or
modify your SSL-encrypted communications. Tor is more susceptible to that
than most because anybody can be your exit node. In this instance, the exit
node would have to be prepared with certificates for various sites - it
couldn't pick any site at random and instantly impersonate that.

I think that may have been what you were saying, but I just wanted to state
it clearly to avoid misinterpretation.

 - John Brooks