UDP and data retention

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Dec 19 13:57:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 02:32:57PM +0100, Sven Anderson wrote:

> Since you seem to talk about Germany: Again, data retention does and
> will not happen on a per-packet basis and especially not on the
> transport layer (TCP/UDP) with the current law. There will "only" be

Thanks for the pointer. I'm pretty sure this is going to change
rather soon (not that TLAs care much either way about what the local
law says).

> records which dynamic IP-address was assigned to which customer at
> which time. That's it. See Paragraph 4 in [1] (German).
>
> [1]
> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorratsdatenspeicherung#Verkehrsdatenspeicherung

Thanks. Assuming the Wikipedia interpretation is correct and my ISP cares about
the law (from what little I know Tor operators might be well under extra scrutiny from
LKA and/or BND) they're not going to log anything relevant for time being, and anyone
else is explicitly forbidded by law. That's probably the best piece of news I've had this year.

How large a traffic fraction of the usual suspect P2P file-sharing is UDP, anyone knows?