Need help with MPAA threats

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Mon Dec 15 15:42:58 UTC 2008

Am 15.12.2008 um 14:11 schrieb David Kammering:

>> And, if I see things right, the bandwidth argument doesn't compute.
>> IIRC, only the client<->tracker traffic is relayed via tor, and
>> that's
>> not the mass traffic of the actual big files.
>
> Hmm, I must admit that I'm not too deep into p2p via Tor, but what I
> noticed from my mrtg stats of the exit node is that running a more
> restrictive exit policy gives me typical traffic flows with some
> spikes
> and so on; reverting to the standard policy peaks out the bandwith
> completely. I have no further checked what is the cause of this as it
> would have involved logging traffic but I think most of it is p2p
> traffic as running on the restrictive exit policy got me no further
> notes from the MPAA.
>
> Actually it is an observation I already thought about asking on the
> list, maybe someone could clarify if it is really p2p traffic peaking
> out the link with the open exit policy?

My experience is exactly the same. As long as you allow arbitrary
ports your bandwidth is always maxed out because of file transfers. If
you only allow port 80 you have a very erratic bandwidth usage. Of
course it's possible to download large files over HTTP as well. But
the users obviously don't do it.

Sven