Bittorrent packets

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Mon Dec 15 14:52:39 UTC 2008

Am 15.12.2008 um 14:35 schrieb Mitar:
> Without adding those IP to ExitRules it is not really "nice" that I
> would be blocking them just with a firewall but this could be maybe
> also seen as a feature: making Tor network unstable for Bittorrent
> users (for data transmissions).

I also had these BitTorrent traces in my Apache log. I looked into
this and realized that, although the default exit policy claims to
block P2P ports, there was still a lot of Bittorrent traffic.

Unfortunately my own tests showed that you cannot block Bittorrent
traffic with a black-list exit policy, but only with a white-list
policy, that only selectively allows the ports you want to support.

It is worth to note that even downloads from hosts behind NAT (or Tor
for this matter) are possible with Bittorrent clients. The other
clients who want to download but cannot connect directly because of
NAT/Tor seem to publish their requests on the tracker and the offering
client connects to the requesting clients in order to _upload_ the
data blocks. So it is actually possible that a Bittorrent client
_offers_ files for download over your exit node.

Sven