Need help with MPAA threats

phobos at rootme.org phobos at rootme.org
Sat Dec 13 17:20:26 UTC 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 09:34:05AM -0600, mateo07 at mrmccabe.com wrote 1.1K bytes in 26 lines about:
> Time Warner shut off my connection again last night due to a complaint
> from the MPAA.  They claim that I downloaded 2 movies and 1 TV show.
> This traffic, in fact, must have come through my Tor exit node.

Outside of the MPAA problem, read your Terms of Service.  If you can run
a proxy server, then the MPAA is your only problem here.  If you can't
run servers on your connection, then Time Warner will bring up the fact
you violated the ToS.

> I explained to the customer service agent that I am running a Tor exit
> node and that the traffic must have come through the Tor network.  He
> said that because this is the 3rd complaint, the MPAA may take me to
> court and sue me for $100,000 per violation.  He also claimed that
> "others in similar situations" have lost in court...whatever that means.

We have a fine FAQ with a template you can use for a response.
https://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-dmca-response.html  From experience,
the support people you talk to only have a script to follow, they won't
care if you actually did invent the Internet.

> Second, have any exit node operators in the US had similar complaints
> from the MPAA?  If so, how did you handle the complaints?

I've received many DMCA takedown notices.  In every case, I sent them a
letter based on the template linked above.

--
Andrew