No data retention in germany for donated services

Sven Anderson sven at anderson.de
Tue Dec 9 14:21:01 UTC 2008

Am 09.12.2008 um 14:23 schrieb Hans Schnehl:

> Unfortunatelly it does not solve the problem, the mere fact traffic is
> going to be logged and held for 6 months is the problem, not who does
> the actual logging. So the necessary data will be easily obtained on
> request of executives from the isp's where nodes are hosted/running.
> But it may keep up the number of nodes in that country.

This is not correct! I have to repeat myself: There will be no general
traffic logging at hosters! The data retention only records the
information who used which "identifier" at which time. For access
networks this is which dynamic IP address a customer used at a certain
time. There will be no IP packet or TCP connection logging (at least
not because of the data retention law)!

Sven