technical solution for censorship [was: UK internet filtering]

Scott Bennett bennett at cs.niu.edu
Mon Dec 8 21:07:11 UTC 2008

     On Mon, 08 Dec 2008 19:48:56 +0100 "Benjamin S." <webmaster at tor-proxy.net>
wrote:
>Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 16:21 +0100 schrieb Sven Anderson:
>> Am 08.12.2008 um 14:05 schrieb Benjamin S.:
>
>> > I think it's time to find a better technical solution to deal with
>> > censorship in different countries.
>
>> Technical solutions to circumvent censorship are welcome of course. =20
>> But don't forget that Tor is designed to be an anonymity tool, not an =20
>> anti-censorship tool.=20
>
>You mean anti-censorship is not the goal of the TOR-project?

     You are referred to the tor project's web site at www.torproject.org,
where the home page begins:

"Tor: anonymity online
	Tor is a software project that helps you defend against traffic
	analysis, a form of network surveillance that threatens personal
	freedom and privacy, confidential business activities and
	relationships, and state security. "

     You may also find it worthwhile (for your own security in using this tool)
to peruse more of that page and of the rest of the site (besides how to get
onto this mailing list, which you appear to have accomplished already) before
beginning to use tor.
     That some people have found tor to be helpful in bypassing censorial
regimes' efforts is one of the nicer unintended consequences of tor's design,
but such use is fallout from, not motivation for, the design.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG