technical solution for censorship [was: UK internet filtering]

Benjamin S. webmaster at tor-proxy.net
Mon Dec 8 18:48:56 UTC 2008

Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 16:21 +0100 schrieb Sven Anderson:
> Am 08.12.2008 um 14:05 schrieb Benjamin S.:

> > I think it's time to find a better technical solution to deal with
> > censorship in different countries.

> Technical solutions to circumvent censorship are welcome of course.
> But don't forget that Tor is designed to be an anonymity tool, not an
> anti-censorship tool.

You mean anti-censorship is not the goal of the TOR-project?

> At the moment I see it as the responsibility of
> the user to choose an appropriate exit-node when he/she suspects
> censorship.

This will only work as long as you can count censored ressources on the
fingers of one hand, otherwise it will become to complex.

> Of course you could use the exit-policies to publish the censorship
> for each exit node, but that would result in the directories to hold a
> list of all blocked IPs for each ISP, what would impair performance I
> guess.

That depends on how big the list would grow. Probably it would make
sense to put these information in a different directory so you can
enable or disable separatley.

Regards,
Benjamin.
--
Surf anonymously and reach Hidden Services by using TOR, JonDos (JAP)
and I2P with https://tor-proxy.net .