Fwd: (Theory) The BGP exploit: Effects on Tor routing and overall anonymity?

Isaac Levy isaac at ceetoneresearch.com
Fri Aug 29 16:50:34 UTC 2008

Hi All,

I'm sorry for the cross-post, but I felt this was relevant (and an
interesting thread!).

Alex Pilosov (one of the presenters for this BGP exploit) hangs out on
our list, so I cross posted this thread to the NYC*BUG-talk list, and
below is Alex's short response.

Best,
.ike

(For the record, the NYC*BUG Talk mailing list and archives can be
found at: <http://www.nycbug.org/index.php?NAV=MailingLists>)

> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008, Isaac Levy wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> So this is a bit of a cross-post, I thought it was relevant/
>> interesting, since we've all been buzzing about our very own Alex,
>> and
>> the wild Defcon demo on scary BGP re-routing; and many folks here
>> have
>> an interest in the TOR network.
>>
>> ike-summary:
>>
>> - Essentially, the first poster asks if the BGP attack could be
>> used to
>> break TOR anonynimity.
>>
>> - The second poster explains a quick no, and then a sort of 'yes but
>> it's not in the realm of sanity', in good detail.
> The second poster is correct.
>
> -alex

Begin forwarded message: