AVG + TOR = BARF

idefix at riseup.net idefix at riseup.net
Sat Aug 23 12:55:48 UTC 2008

Quoting coderman <coderman at gmail.com>:

> that really is the crux; email passes through so many possible hops,
> usually unecrypted (and even when the payload itself is encrypted,
> subject and other headers are not).

Riseup, the other tech collectives named on the website of riseup and
many (could someone confirm this, is "many" correct?) universities are
using a technique called StartTLS. You may find more information here:
[1] & [2]

So, for example, if you are sending a mail from riseup to nadir.org, a
tech collective located in Hamburg / Germany, you _can't_ read the
subject, the message itself, and the sender and receiver from
"outside", which means for example if your are wiretapping the
connection.

Of course this isn't 100% secure, and yes it can be attacked, and it
doesn't work if you send a mail to hotmail or other shitty mail
providers. But maybe better than send all the traffic unencrypted
trough the net.

Just my 0.02, idefix :)

P.S.: I will add a part of a mail header using TLS. Mail came from
so36.net, tech collective located in Berlin / Germany, and was
distributed to riseup. And sorry for my bad english...

[1] http://sial.org/howto/openssl/tls-name/
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_SMTP

	(using TLSv1 with cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
	(Client CN "lists.so36.net", Issuer "lists.so36.net" (not verified))
	by mx1.riseup.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id AB84B5704B5
	for <idefix at riseup.net>; Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:47:18 -0700 (PDT)